(keitai-l) Re: % of color/bw i-mode phones

From: Giles Netcom <giles_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 06/05/00
Do you think there are only a few color handsets because they are not
popular? I have found that the D502i's are often sold out (in blue and
silver, but not pink) (and the Sharp for JPhone, was only left in white at
my local shop last week..)  My hunch is that penetration of color handsets
is higher than 20%, but I would not be able to say by how much.   Ask
somebody who runs an online i-mode user community, and I imagine that you
will find it is more like 40-50% (I saw some numbers from January, just
after color handsets were introduced, and within a month, a lot of the
community had gone color).  But then I guess that depends what kind of
community it is, which i-mode users join what kind of online community, the
demographic and its tastes, etc.  Anybody who hosts these sites --including
the more popular i-mode search engines--can log user handset profiles. I
think they could give you a real-case example if you asked, which might be
more useful than sheer speculation if you need to quote and actual figure.

Giles.