(keitai-l) Re: tsutaya ads

From: Jonathan W. Anderson <jon_anderson_at_bmcmedia.com>
Date: 09/04/00
I've looked back at my copy of the same (probably) article that Jeff
mentions.

Some notes:
1) The click thru rate is about three times higher, but the article states
that the cost per click is only about 30% higher than for regular PC
banners.

2) Since they are a cost per click model, ValueClick only makes money if
you click on the banners (in this case text banners).

According to another article (probably Nikkei Sangyo, I only have the
clipping
and don't remember, sorry) they are selling 13,000 clicks at a cost of 115
yen
per click, a total cost of 1,500,000 yen.  Assuming they get a 7% click-thru
like
Tsutaya Online got in their tests, ValueClick will need 185,714 page views a
day
to meet that click guarantee.  Since they are showing 1,000,000 text banners
(aka pages) a day, then the most they could be making a day is around
6,800,000
yen.  This drops to 5.8 to 6 million if you subtract ad agency fees (15% of
total
cost of the ad).

Just for reference, according to ValueClick's financial statement for the
period of January 1st to June 30th 2000, their total sales revenue for the
half year period ending June 2000 was 490,000,000 yen.

http://www.valueclick.ne.jp/aboutus/press/vcpr/annual_20000721.pdf