(keitai-l) Re: SMS Messages which can hang your Nokia

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_uwillsee.com>
Date: 09/04/00
On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 08:15:52PM +0900, Andrea Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > article on CNN. Apparently, Nokia discovered that certain types
> > > of text in their SMS messages could freeze your Nokia phone
> > > requiring you to take your battery out in order to get things
> >
> >         They have had the same problem with earlier models before
> >         7110 too. You just had to sen and sms consisting nothing
> >         else but full length of dots (ie. ................). Upon
> >         opening that text message you phone got frozen and you had
> >         to remove the batteries to make it work again.
>
> the same seems to be true for i-mode handsets where email messages
> containing certain characters can freeze the screen for about 20
> minutes as this news from the Asahi Shimbun says, if my translation
> is correct:
>
> http://www.asahi.com/tech/mobile/20000902a.html
> (in Japanese)
>
> It doesn't say if Nokia's i-mode phone is concerned or (-/and
> also) other maker's handset models...

I believe you're right. The second paragraph seems to suggest that just
be opening the email this may hang your phone for some 20 minutes as
some software tries to do a lot of processing. It doesn't mention which
s/w. The third says that they think it is only with some 502 models and
they recommend not opening email unless you know the sender... This also
strikes me as funny as in the mail folder on my N501i, I can only see
the date and subject before opening the mail. There may be an option to
change this though although I haven't found it yet.

Cheers,

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd                   Have you had your noop today?
tom_at_nooper.com                  http://www.nooper.com