(keitai-l) Re: creating webpages for j-sky

From: EMW <Joran.Roslund_at_emw.ericsson.se>
Date: 09/21/00
Hi,

>  I realized that in the 'real
> world' many developers seem to use HTML instead of MML as their
> markup language for J-Sky sites.
>
> My educated guess would be therefore, that since even J-Phone
> is writing its very own j-sky mobile edition in HTML instead
> of MML, all J-Phone handsets should be able to display HTML
> and it seems to have more advantages then disadvantages or
> at least is more convenient to make J-Sky sites up in HTML
> then in MML...

Well, do you really know that the J-Sky gateway sends HTML and
not MML to your handset? J-Skys's server must be able to tell if
the request for a page is coming from a PC on the Internet
or from a mobile phone. J-Sky's gateway could easily convert
HTML to MML. Since there seems to be a near 1-to-1 correspondence
between HTML and MML tags, such a program would be extremely
simple to write and fast to execute. As far as I understand it,
the advantage of MML is to save bandwidth - or rather in this
case transmission time - and memory in the handset. By using
HTML instead of MML in the gateway -> handset link, you would
lose these advantages.

Regards,

Joran

Joran Roslund, PhD                      joran.roslund@emw.ericsson.se