(keitai-l) Re: Introduction and some questions.

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_uwillsee.com>
Date: 10/07/00
On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 03:25:44PM +0100, PJ McKenna wrote:
>  I have to admit to not fully understanding imode's billing system (does
> it/doesn't it allow automatic user identification, how?) but perhaps some
> more faq- and archive-reading would help.

All imode requests go through a gateway before hitting a particular
imode service server. If the service is a non official site, the gateway will
fetch the page and pass it back to the phone. The gateway doesn't provide
any unique phone identifiers to free services. In the case where you are
an official site for free or fee, the gateway will additionaly send the
service a unique id to identify the particular user/phone. If your site
is fee based, the gateway will know if the user will have signed up or
not and allow access accordingly. For the most part if you haven't yet
signed up it will offer a registration screen. There are a couple of
different formulaes out there. For example CNN will let you see the headlines
for free and only charge for the full stories. DoCoMo handles all the
billing and takes a 9% cut on the monthly fee.

Actually as I have never setup an official site yet I may be off on
some of those points, but it should be a pretty good picture of how it
works from what I hear. Can anyone on the list post an example of
what a unique id looks like and confirm what extra variables will be
sent by the gateway to the service if you were an official site.

A good resource is to look at http://anima.editthispage.com which has
a mini faq and also a search on the keitai-l archives.

Cheers,

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd                   Have you had your noop today?
tom_at_nooper.com                  http://www.nooper.com