(keitai-l) Re: User Agent Redirection - performance

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 01/22/01
First: question to the list: do ALL phones have "DoCoMo" in the first
section of the user agent header?

keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>Are the considerations similar, script vs compiled
>code, etc.

I can't think of any additional considerations off hand. I use php as it
is "good enough" and allows fast development.

> or is there anything about phone access that would steer you
>toward a particular implementation?

just remember the 'click click" effect of phones, in which users tend to
linger on a given page for a shortish time as the content is so brief, it
is a search page, etc.  In other words, the ratio of hits to delivered
content is different for phones (and other small screen clients) to that
for standard web pages. That leads to different tradeoffs.

If you are generating MOST content dynamically, it *may* be worth
generating the entire site dynamically as that allows application level
caching fairly easily.

as far as I know, you can't redirect some of the first generation of
phones, such as the P501. But you could sniff for them and give them a
custom page.

Nick