(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Stephen Carter <carter_at_sncarter.com>
Date: 01/22/01
I can only partially agree; I think the "monitor display on eyeglasses" or
some sort of heads up display could be universal in the next few years. They
will convey such an advantage that failing to adopt them will amount to
dropping out of contemporary civilization.

As for an input device, that's a bit harder. After all, we're still using
keyboards at the desk top. And even though a FEW Japanese teenagers, who
seem to have little else to do, have mastered input on a Keitai keypad
doesn't mean that it's a good or desirable input method,or that it will
become a long-term world standard.

A major point not addressed in Nielsen's article is that to get to these
bigger screens and PDA/Keitai hybrids, we have to go through the economic
and technological bootstrapping of the tiny keitai display and keypad entry.
I'm glad to be in Japan where, for whatever reasons, economic and social
forces are pushing that evolution rapidly--that is, as rapidly as the foot
draggers at NTT can be dragged into the future.

Steve Carter