(keitai-l) Re: Vibration experiences wanted

From: Daniel Isenberg <d_isenberg_at_triangletech.com>
Date: 01/25/01
Jan:  Very interesting question.  BTW I have extensive experience in 3-4
cultures.  I am from the US, live in Israel, work in Japan, and travel back
and forth through Europe 15-20 times a year.  My very consistent but
unsystematic observation is that whereas in Japan there is great sensitivity
to intrusiveness of cell phones, in Europe (at least in airports) the
opposite is true - users seem oblivious to their neighbors, wandering around
and talking loudly ("Oui!!  Oui!!  Quoi??") next to anyone who cant get
away.

Israel is an interesting case.   When first introduced 5 years ago or so,
users were very insensitive (btw, before the required use of hands free
kits, whenever you saw someone driving without hands you knew they were
talking on the phone - one hand for holding the phone, and one hand for
talking :-)  - the minimum required in the Mediterranean region).  Now that
penetration is in the >60%++ range, and in Israel people LOVE to talk a lot,
the level of considerateness is uncharacteristically increasing (!).

I have noticed in Japan that  perhaps since ambient noise tends to be low,
even the vibration of my cell phone is intrusive, and people in meetings can
hear the vibration in my shirt pocket, and it is a bit embarassing, because
no one can ignore it (and it tickles :-) ).

So I personally would very much appreciate differentiated vibration.  A low
vibe mode for meetings, a high vibe mode for trains or cars (e.g.).  If
technically feasible, differentiated vibrations by incoming number (I have
this for tones on my Nokia for certain programmed characters).

Dan Isenberg

*********************
Dr. Daniel Isenberg, President, Triangle Technologies
Phone in Tel Aviv: (972) 3-5758636  Fax (972) 3-5758660   Mobile (972)
(0)53-544663
Phone in Tokyo: (81) (0)3-52158760  fax (81) (0)3-52158765 Mobile (81)
(0)90-93159144
Israel office: 7 Abba Hillel Silver St., Ramat Gan, 52522 Israel
Japan Office:  1-4-12 Hirakawa-cho, Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
email:  d_isenberg_at_triangletech.com  home page: http://www.triangletech.com
Want to make your own beautiful personal photobook?  Try www.printlife.com
In Japan, try www.printlife.co.jp !!!