(keitai-l) Re: i-mode class files and emulators

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/30/01
"Eijkemans, Paul" wrote:

> >I don't even want to get into the "i-mode is proprietary" argument
> >because I find it pedantic. HTML and Java are about as open as it's
> >going to get. A hell of a lot more accessible to the general population
> >of contents developers than WML.
> >r e n
>
> But what if DoCoMo manages to copyright the libraries that are in
> the mobile phone in such a way that they eventually are not able to be used
> by
> non-DoCoMo customers?

I cannot possibly imagine the business case wherein DoCoMo would think doing
that is good for their business.

> I absolutely agree that HTML and Java are in itself an open standard.
> However, the proprietary HTML-tags and the proprietary classfiles created
> by vendors and others are definately not.

Fact of life, and it's a considerably better situation w/i-mode than the
alternatives like WAP. Look at the rendering of WML with handsets from the
founding members of the WAP Forum.

> You can argue than that a programmer should then not use these
> tags/classfiles.
> But if 80% of the sites are using them and these sites can only be accessed
> by DoCoMo customers, it will be a huge problem for other the other
> network operators.

No, I do not argue that. You have use the correct technology according to your
intended market. If you are only targeting F503i users, then by all means use
the Fujitsu-only extensions.

> This is my major concern with the recent announcement of DoCoMo, KPN & TIM.
> I don't believe that I-Mode technology as it is now will become succesful in
> Europe.

I don't think the partnerships between DoCoMo and other operators means DoCoMo
is trying to export PDC to Europe. DoCoMo can export business models, a brand,
marketing strategies, partnering models...

r e n