(keitai-l) Re: grass greener

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 02/09/01
Nick May wrote:
> An issue I see with wireless is that the gateways are bottlenecks that are
> - possibly - quite hittable by naughty boyz'n'gals....

This is an issue with the way i-mode is implemented, not
wireless in general.  Routing all i-mode traffic through a
single group of boxes is indeed stupid, but it's the easiest
and cheapest way.  (Especially when you're not expecting
10,000,000 people to sign up in one year.)  But add a
mini-gateway to each 3G base station and let them chatter TCP/IP
amongst each other, and presto, you've got a DDOS-proof
network.

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo