(keitai-l) Re: to emoji or not to emoji

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 02/11/01
At 06:21 2001-02-11, you wrote:
>keitai-l@appelsiini.net
> > We are a bit concerned about breaking internet standards, which is
> > especially important since all users would most likely already use
>fixed
> > Internet.
>
>The  "tel" tag and accesskey stuff may well be an extension of a
>standard, but surely emoji are more akin to an extension to a font set
>rather than a tag extension as such...
>
>As such, is the "internet standards" issue really relevant?

It's more a character set issue (*) than a font set issue, and that is one
thing that makes it more complicated. We predict a wider use of sending
emails between computers and phones in Europe and the US than what is
currently done in Japan, and then the emoji is a bit of a problem. But as
marketing tool with viral effects, like Nokia's image SMS etc., they may
probably be quite interesting as a weapon against SMS.

/gustaf

* since it is not part of either ShiftJIS 6879 or any of the western ISO
8859 character sets which is part of teh MIME standard, I do see this as a
fairly heavy standard issue.

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747