(keitai-l) Re: i-mode phone, a drill down

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 02/20/01
Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang wrote:

> * What are the functions of the two buttons pictured as a phone
> (a wired phone). One is picked up and the other isn't.

Answer and hang up.

> I assume the 'HLD' stands for 'on-hold'. It usually is the
> same button for PWR(power.)

Usually.

> Since they are very persistent
> across the phones, I think one is picked up and the other hang up?

Yup.

> * What is the button 'TEL' for? telephone?

My N502i doesn't have a TEL button, so not sure what you're referring to.

> * What is the button pictured as an envelope for? email?

Yes. My N502i (and other models) have a dedicated email button that takes you
directly into the mail software.

> (98% of confidence it is. But I want the 2% goes away.) Sometimes,
> it comes with the Chinese character ( which is also Japanese character)
> "word" ( I guess it is "write" and also possible) MOJI would be it?

Correct. This is also used to shift between input systems -- Japanese, kana,
English, numerics.

> * The button pictured as a 'car'. ( it is a 'back' key?) or call the
> taxi(?! :) , just kidding.) If it isn't a 'back' button, do they have one?

The car image is usually "Drive Mode" -- whenever someone calls you the
automated message says something like "I'm driving now and can't answer,
please leave a message and I'll call you back"

> * The button pictured as a rectangle comes with a smaller
> dark recgangle sitting on the southeast corner. (P209iS,
> P209i,P502i...etc)

Battery life. Usually several bars indicating charge status.

> * The button pictured as an open book. In P601 and Doccimo P811
> My guess is: it is either for telephone directory(personalized)
> or telephone bill(unlikely, I don't think they want to remind
> people how much you have spent by putting a button here.)

Directory.

> Now the functionalities:
>
> * Screen memos: it is for how many 'wall paper' you can have?

Depends on the phone. N502i has 6 presets + memory for I think 10 downloaded
images.

> * hyper talk: what is this? walkie-talie?

DoCoMo's name for technology that makes better voice-quality on calls. (I'm
assuming it's some sort of DSP or something).

> * manner mode: hunh?

Automatically turns off the ringer and turns on the vibe mode.

> * short mail IS SMS? right?

Correct.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144