(keitai-l) Re: Ask: average revenue for (official) content providers

From: <jason.c.freedman_at_accenture.com>
Date: 02/21/01
Only figures I have are 8 months old for Bandai.
At that time they had 1.3 million subs at an average rate to 200\/month.
But at that time there were only 9 million subscribers to i-Mode in
total.... so...

The flip side is that as a content provider you either need a significant
number of subs or you need to be profitable at less than 1 Million US /
year in revenue (tough model to win under).  If I were any large company I
would find it very difficult to justify having this type of service (even
Bandai isn't making THAT much money, only DoCoMo).

Jason

*********************************

Jason C. Freedman
Accenture
jason.c.freedman@accenture.com
GACT - Japan
D.I. 81-3-5771-3291

            Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang
            <hubert@4w1h.com>                   To:     <keitai-l@appelsiini.net>
            Sent by:                            cc:
            keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.n        Subject:     (keitai-l) Re: Ask: average revenue for (official) content
            et                                  providers

            02/20/2001 05:20 AM
            Please respond to keitai-l

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Andrew Saunders wrote:

> There are currently around 730 IPs offering i-menu content
> A total of 1,340 service offerings
> Out of these, 460 odd are fee-paying sites (100 to 300 yen per month)
> Average yearly revenue is 98,000,000 yen per site
>
> (makes for a yearly content (information) market worth 460 * 98,000,000 =
> 45,080,000,000 yen)
>
> Or from the user side of things:
> Apparently out of the 17,000,000 i-mode subscribers, some 8,500,000
> subscribe to fee-paying content
> With the users of fee paying services subscribing to 2.2 sites on average
> and the average price per main menu site at 200 yen per month
>
> (makes for a yearly content market worth 8,500,000 * 2.2 * 200 yen * 12
> months =  44,880,000,000 yen (450 oku))

Thank you.

From both point of view, the statistics is approximatedly matced.
It is not bad at all since the service has started for only two years,
but I assuem some of the sites are getting exceeding high volume
of subscribers.

Any info on VERY popular site? I assume bandi is one of them.
(like it has more than 1,000,000 of subscribers or 500,000+ subscribers)

Hubert

privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.  Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.