(keitai-l) Re: Most People Can Live Without Wireless Web

From: Victor Pikula <victor_at_pikula.com>
Date: 02/23/01
Hello list,

Quote from the Accenture surey:
> Less than 1 percent of those surveyed were shopping online with their
wireless devices, one of the biggest expected uses for the Web-enabled
gadgets.

That is one of the things that struck me about the recent "wireless web"
related commercials here in Holland. Its shows a man ordering flowers over his
new Nokia cell-phone. I sincerely do not think consumers will now jump up and
say "Hey; that is great! I need to get my hands on such a cell-phone 'cause I
have been dying to be able to order flowers anywhere for ages!"

Marketing in Western-Europe has clearly switched from a focus on business
users to consumers. But they are still not addressing the benefits that could
lead consumers to actually want such a device or function.

In another commercial (again from nokia), we see 2 people using a chat
function on a mobile phone... in a dark cinema. As industrial organization is
still hard to find here; I assume this chat-function only works if two people
own the same Nokia phone.

To illustrate my point: This morning I sent out a SMS to my brother. He could
not read it, since his Motorola could not read my accentuated characters
(quite common in German, Swedish and Dutch). Same network though!

The message just said "Wrong format. UCS2" Yeah, right!@

Good weekend to all,
Victor