(keitai-l) Re: Ericsson's new phone - with colour display

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 03/23/01
Victor Pikula wrote:
> But the point here is: I do think all manufacturers in Europe would be
> *able* to produce colour display WAP phones. Siemens probably abandoned
> producing colour screen WAP phones because there are no specifications
> on how to support colour display capabilities within the WAP standard.
> The WAP forum should come up with the exact specifications on how to
> integrate colour display capabilities with content provision. That is
> why in Japan we see mobile internet services and handsets that support
> colour pictures in all three cases (i-mode, J-Sky and EZweb) and none
> in Europe. Japanese operators set these standards.

This is entering a bit into the conspiracy fringe, and all this
happened long after I quit Nokia Japan, but according to an anonymous
but well-connected source...

...Nokia's NM502i was supposed to be a color phone.  However, they
couldn't find a supplier for the color screens: evidently there are
only a few factories in the world capable of manufacturing the things,
and they suspected that the bigger zaibatsu were twisting arms behind
the scenes to make sure the little European upstart got none of them.
This may also account for the fact that Nokia's 503i-series color-screen
Java-phone, which has been in development for quite some time, has yet
to appear.  (For all I know, it may have been buried entirely...)

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo