(keitai-l) Re: A Rude Awakening For WAP Dreamers

From: Daniel Scuka <daniel_at_japaninc.com>
Date: 05/21/01
The funny thing is, both Access' Compact NetFront Plus and Openwave's Mobile
Internet Browser Universal Edition (both due for release this fall) will
support cHTML, xHTML Basic, and WML, enabling a handset equipped with either
one to jump from an i-mode site to a WAP site and back again without the
user knowing (or caring).

Despite the weaknesses of current WAP deployments (1.0 and 1.2.1), when
handsets equipped with either browser hit the street (and SO LONG AS
operators allow users access outside the Walled Garden), any WAP phone will
be able to access those 45,000-plus unofficial sites -- and maybe even the
official ones if DoCoMo opens up the portal sometime next year.

What's the betting that this could spark a renaissance for WAP 2.0 services
-- or at least help show WAP site developers how i-moders have been doing it
all along?

BTW, I've gathered as many of the new browser specs as I can find. Can
anyone fill in any blanks? What about compact MIDI?

--Daniel

Specifications for the Compact NetFront Plus Microbrowser
Memory Footprint	128-512 KB RAM, 512 KB - 1MB ROM
Markup Language	xHTML Basic, WML 1.3, cHTML
Images, video		GIF, Animated GIF, WBMP; optional PNG and JPG
support; 1/4 VGA support 100 x72 pixels
Sound			Provided through plug-in module
CPU			Optimized for 20-40 MIPs; CNF v2.0 has been ported
to V800, FR, M32R, and ARM.
OS			OS independent; Has been ported to uTRON, can be
ported to others
Security			Optional SSL (Access AVE-SSL)
Character sets		ISO-2022-JP, ShiftJIS, ISO-8859-1, others
Operation		All operation achieved through a four-button
combination (Back/Stop, Push-to-Select, Cursor Back, Cursor Forward)
Bookmarks, caching	Supported (depends on hardware)
Mail			SMTP, POP3, IMAP4
Protocols		HTTP 1.0, Wireless TCP
Java			Optional JV-Lite2
UI			Customizable

Specifications for the Openwave Universal Edition Mobile Browser
Markup Language	xHTML Basic, WML 2.0, WML 1.x, cHTML, HDML
Images			GIF, Animated GIF, WBMP, PNG, JPG; Various
resolutions
Sound, Video		Supports any type of multimedia content supported by
the hardware
Security			WTLS, SSL
Character sets		Various; double byte enabled for 35-plus languages
Operation		All operation achieved through a four-button
combination (two soft keys, upédown key, and a back key)
Bookmarks, caching	Supported
Mail			Compatible with SMTP, POP3, IMAP4
Protocols		HTTP Push, WTLS, WTP, WSP, WAE, CSS
Scripting		WMLScript (client-side)
UI			Customizable; similar to PC Web