(keitai-l) Re: SMS for ringing tones, screen savers and images

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 05/31/01
On Thu, 31 May 2001, Funk Jeffrey Lee wrote:

> The enclosed article says that Alcatel, Motorola, Ericsson, and Siemens are
> developing an enhanced SMS technology so that users can download ringing
> tones, screen savers, and images using SMS. This sounds like Europe is
> aiming for some of the same applications that have been so popular with

	We have been doing this for a couple of years allready, so
	it is nothing new. Actually the ringingtones and icons are
	the only profitable m-business in europe at the moment.

	All of this has been quite Nokia centric though. And the
	technology is not as sophisticated as with Japanese handsets.
	The graphics are only 1 bit black and white imagese and the
	ringingtones are just different buzzer sounds.

	I don't know why, but I could guess that the reason that
	no other handset maker has been implementint Nokia's
	Smart Messaging Specification is huge licence fees. I also
	could guess that this is the reason to develop a new more open
	standard. How open it is, time will tell.

	God bless corporate Ameri^H^H^H^H^HEurope.

--
Mika Tuupola                      http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/