(keitai-l) Re: Sense of video on wireless phones (was:Re: i-motion Mpeg3)

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 08/07/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>Is it?  If it is not covered by "video telephony" then what else would you
>suggest "video telephony" is ?

In your original post you announced this "has been around for a while and
never caught on". Since what  I mentioned has not in any useful form - (no
- the silly kyocera? phs was so brain dead it does not count - this kind
of capability has to be available from a phone that is reasonably capable
in other ways) I am surprised that you now include it.

The fact is that the ability to service the "application" I mentioned has
NOT been around in any useful, inexpensive, compelling and widely
available form - in Japan at least.

>Whether video telephony is such an important application, however, remains
>to be seen. The evidence from wireline and wireless trials so far suggests
>that once the wow-factor has worn off it is likely to fade into a far
>lesser important service, that most people are unwilling to pay for in
>most
>situations.

This is such a terribly sweeping claim based on the evidence of limited
trials on handsets that have all sorts of problems anyway. This kind of
application is not something that suits itself to a trial terribly well
precisely because to be useful it relies on handsets being fairly
ubiquitous - something  that a trial, by definition, cannot provide.

>However, all those applications are in the category of niche services,
>more
>likely to account for only a smaller percentage of all services, far less
>than traditional services. Unlikely to become the killer applications
>everybody is looking for.

I think what I detect most in your analysis is a failure of
imagination.... The killer app is user created content - email and the
like - and that is where the vid-tel "killer app" will be - user created
content. Your obsession with the "useful" (you seem to use the word a lot
- usually preceded by "not") suggests that you really do not understand
the Japanese market terribly well at all.

I am truly relieved that you were not around at the inception of the
telephone.....

("No Mr Bell -
>once the wow-factor has worn off it is likely to fade into a far
>lesser important service
...)

Nick