(keitai-l) Re: article on streaming media to keitai

From: Pekka Parnanen <pekka.parnanen_at_solidtech.com>
Date: 08/28/01
This is the latest on this:

Cingular Launches GPRS

By allNetDevices Staff <mailto:webmaster@allnetdevices.com>
August 28, 2001
U.S. wireless operator Cingular said Monday that it has commercially
launched next-generation GPRS wireless service in the Seattle area.
In addition, Cingular said that it expects to launch GPRS service, which
potentially can provide speeds as high as 144Kbps, in all its GSM markets in
North America by early next year.
Cingular was created as a partnership of several wireless vendors, only some
of which offered GSM service. It will be able to offer the faster wireless
access only in those areas, which are concentrated in portions of the West
and East coasts of the U.S.
North American competitors, most notably Sprint PCS, also have vowed to
start rolling out faster service by the end of the year. Unlike Cingular,
however, Sprint said it planned on rolling out faster wireless service
throughout its entire North American network.
The company said that data air-time won't count against wireless plan
minutes. Instead, users will pay on a per-kilobyte basis for data sent and
received. It said that it will offer data packages starting at $24.99 per
month.

//Pekka