(keitai-l) Re: Nokia 5510

From: Benedict Evans <inherent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10/11/01
I can see why they might think it's cool, but:
* No GPRS
* Far too big and heavy (150g and bigger than the Ericsson smartphone!)
* Still no decent screen

I see the keyboard as a waste of time - 1 billion SMS sent in the UK last
month with mobile keypads, so why do we need this? How many of those
Motorolas with the keyboard did anyone buy? And splitting the keyboard in
two is elegant but makes it harder to use.

I suspect that they're putting out these novelty devices (FM radio in the
8310, Communicator and now this) to divert attention from the key issue
going foward - colour screens and mobile internet - and 3G.

Is there anything in this device that costs them money? FM chips must cost
nothing by now, and MP3 playback stuff has been around for 2 years, so must
be fairly cheap. So, are they adding cheap gimmicks to distract our
attention from their failure to do big screens? And to maintain their 'cool'
image among consumers without doing anything very difficult or expensive?

The issuw we've been wondering about is, if decent (i.e. Japanese-like)GPRS
handsets only hit the European market in the summer of 2002, and the first
dual-mode 3G handsets are on the market (in small numbers) for Christmas
2002, then will enough GPRS handsets be sold to earn a decent return?

In other words, have Nokia decided not to bother taking GPRS-only handsets
seriously - is this Nokia 'treading water' while they put the real
development effort into dual-mode 3G handsets? And decent screens?