(keitai-l) Re: One big family?

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 11/13/01
From: "Tony Chan" <tonyc@telecomasia.net>
> I'm sure everyone has seen this, but what the hell is going on?
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/011112/hsm038_1.html

I'm always suspicious of press releases that refer to some kind of business
"ecosystem" without working through the messy metaphorical match with real
ecosystems--e.g., food chains, parasitism, decay processes, species
extinction, etc.

I'm sure, in any case, that Flextronics is rubbing its hands together
gleefully over that bit at the end of the first paragraph about "ensuring
that economies of scale are enjoyed throughout the industry."  They seem to
always win more business every time yet another mobile-phone maker throws in
the towel.

My general reading: this is about consolidation and loss-cutting after
disaster, and about putting the nicest possible face on that.  Vodafone has
just announced huge layoffs, and what do we hear from them?  "This is the
most exciting era for this industry and for our customers worldwide...."

With "excitement" like this, who needs Afghanistan?

-michael turner
leap@gol.com