(keitai-l) Re: The truth about mobile data

From: <timecop_at_japan.co.jp>
Date: 11/20/01
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Renfield Kuroda wrote:

> Not true. Lastest handsets are specifically designed for more than
> talking; they have larger screens and bigger buttons. As you note
> below, data-enabled handsets are larger and have bigger buttons to
> fascilitate thumbing.

And lower battery life, and bigger screen (why, you can see the telephone
number just fine on a 10x2 alphanumeric display), bigger buttons, bigger
size in general (why, I thought they stopped selling big phones a few
years back, is the trend returning now)?

> Since you asked, yes I have downloaded and customized my ringtone. And
> no I'm not a musician. The answer to why so much money is being made
That has to be a lie, or else you don't use docomo phones. You cannot
customize the melody that you download from i-mode or from a ringtone
machine. You can keep it, sometimes you can send it to another phone with
IR, but you sure as hell cant customize it, not in any recent models.

You can't even send iappli through IR on P503 or D503, that makes the
actual port quite useless doesn't it...

> > And finally, why does docomo only have 2 class C's allocated to their
> > ENTIRE multibillion i-mode subscriber "service"?
> > Last I checked, that was only ~500 IP's, can't be that less than 500
> > people are using i-mode all over the entire japan at the same time, no?
>
> ? They don't assign an IP to every handset, just to the gateways.
Great, that was very clear from their "technical" flash-filled website.
Mind pasting some links with relevant information?

tim

--
     timecop at japan.co.jp | OA通信サービス株式会社 | NTT DoCoMo