(keitai-l) Re: The truth about mobile data

From: Funk <funk_at_rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/20/01
hello everyone,

The criticism of Japan's mobile Internet such as that shown below is such
as good example of how humans will quickly stop trying to understand a
phenomena and start criticizing it out of frustration. We have seen many
messages like this on the keitai net and I have had similar things said to
me many times overseas at conferences. The success of the Japanese mobile
Internet is not due to some crazy quirk of the Japanese people, economy, or
firms, it is due to the specific strategies that NTT DoCoMo and later KDDI
and J-phone adopted. their creation of of a micro-payment system, a
relatively open portal, and a wide variety of contents including
entertainment contents and heavy subsidization of phones are the reason for
their success. countries that are using the same strategies such as Korea
are seeing similar trends.

Jeff Funk