(keitai-l) Re: How fast are those Japanese thumbs ?

From: 山科:mumlob <mumlob_at_pb.xdsl.ne.jp>
Date: 12/02/01
I am Japanese middle-aged man living in Japan.

When I read "Most Japanese text is Kanji+Hiragana",
I think simply it's right!
But, in fact there are many katakana in Japanese text.
Why?
In our mind, basically every Japanese words consist of hiragana (it stands for
syllable).
We Japanese begin to learn hiragana-set first, and learn katakana secondly.
So, our language's basic character is hiragana.
But Japanese use katakana for writing foreign words.
The reason why there are many katakana is only that there are many foreign words.
Often we type hiragana (by roma-ji method) and convert it kanakana.

By the way, how fast are those Japanese thumbs?
I want to know that, too.
It needs several strokes to input one character to Keitai with a thumb.
And it needs several moments to change hiragana strings to kanji+kana strings.
I think we cannot compare inputting speeds in a simple method......