(keitai-l) Re: OT: The ultimate Keitai guide of how to Kanji and Kana

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 12/02/01
On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 08:25 , Christian Molstrom wrote:

> Um.  um.  I think there's a little too much let-me-show-you-what-I-know
> showing off one-upmanship going on here (myself included).

:-)

I have thought about the danger of being perceived to show off but then
the aim was to give a bit of an insight for those on the list who *don't
know Japanese*. Especially in the light of a recent post that sounded a
bit like frustration about what was described as those who knew Japan
and Japanese would often appear confusing if not somewhat elitist to
those who are outside of Japan and don't know Japan that well nor know
the language.

Although I realised that there was a level of teasing and humour in the
various comments on this thread about Kanji and Kana, I thought that
those readers who don't know any Japanese must have really felt kept out
of the picture if not confused. And therefore I thought it would be
helpful to give a little anecdotal summary on the subject so that
anybody, even those not normally interested in Japanese would get
something out of it and if it was only a little amusement.

Those who know the matter well will have noticed that in fact I don't
know enough to show off.

> I nice reference would suffice.  And also have the added benefit of
> keeping this list vaguely, and not solely, related to keitais.

I am afraid I don't have any references to anything on this matter. I
had my Japanese lessons before the world wide web was even invented.

Also, I am assuming that it is acceptable to make an off-topic post of
this kind as long as the post is marked as such, hence the "OT" in the
subject line. This is the netiquette on Usenet, it may be different here
and if so, I apologise, but then I know that Mika will keep it off the
list if he considers it too far off topic and in this case he didn't.

> But despite what sounds like an ornery scolding and individual attack
> (it is not),

no problem whatsoever

>  I would like to thank Benjamin for his
> informative explanation of telecom rating system.

you're welcome.

kind regards
benjamin