(keitai-l) Re: ... disposable mobile phones

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 12/02/01
> I wouldn't be surprised if this approach had a huge impact on the global
> phone market and how it will develop. Perhaps a bigger influence than the
> invention of prepaid. Could also have a great influence on voice services,
> too - a yet totally underdeveloped area. A guess: the more market share
> these simple phones will get the more voice services will become feasible.

People just love those IVR systems, donšt they ;-)

I'm very surprised if that ever gets out of the US or gets more popular than
a marketing gizmo, remember a historical phenomen called calling cards where
companies had their logos and other marketing information.

From my own perspective the only use I can think of is to have them around
in the car, boat, etc. and use it in the case of emergency, but then again,
you don't know if the battery will be dried out when you really need it.
For other purposes, well, messaging is already over half of my mobile usage
and it's not about being able to call but more about being reachable by
others.

And if I think people who are not technically savvy, they already know how
to use a basic phone and standard mobile phone is very much like a basic
phone, a box with speech recognition is not.  Add the problems with various
languages, number prefixes, how to make international calls etc.

But it's fun to see that the TV-shop type of inventions are already hitting
the mobile world ;-)

Petri