(keitai-l) Re: The economy of Japanese text?? Kill me now. (Or kill me later.)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 12/05/01
Tom's objection here is the best I've seen so far:

> if the discussion is about how well japanese is suited for mails/messages
> on keitais, i don't really think that emacs book is a good reference.
> formal japanese like the one used in books isn't compact, but a typical
> keitai message would be written in less formal and more compact japanese.
> and that can be pretty compact compared to english...

[Example deleted]

Here's the first few lines of the English example.  Then I'll re-render it
into the tersest English I think is still readable.

"Before you even begin to extend Emacs, it's already the highest-function
text editor there is.  Not only can it do everything you'd normally expect
(formatting paragraphs, centering lines, searching for patterns, putting a
block in upper case), not only does it have advanced features (matching
braces in source code, employing color to highlight syntactic elements in
your files, giving online help on every keystroke and other commands), but
it also performs a host of functions you'd never dream of finding in a text
editor."

My keitai version:

"Emacs unext'd? Killer as-is.  Fmt Ps/cntr lines/pat srch/whole block in
caps--coupla k-strokes.  Also: match braces in src/color syntax hilite/get
help on ea. key.  & more u nvr thot of."

Excuse me, I have to go die of geekolemia now.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com