(keitai-l) OT: spam aversion tactic Q

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/07/01
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Jason Pollard wrote:

> Anyway, If I change my email address to display something like
> 'nospam_jasonpollard@yahoo.com', with a note for people to remove the 'nospam_'
> bit when replying, will that be able to stop robots that scan archives of ML's
> like this from grabbing my addr?  Does anybody else do this?  Is doing this too
> inconvenient for people who want to correspond with me?  Does the
> 'bounce_keitai-l' address serve this same purpose?  Your thoughts please.

You can do that, but in the end I don't recommend it. You have several
basic problems here:

1. You have a yahoo address. Even if you never used it at all, you would
eventually start getting spam on it. (This is true of other very large,
free mail services as well.) There are a few theories about why this is,
but I don't think I'll get into them right now.

2. A bunch of spammers already have your address.

3. Your address has already been used without the nospam, and is now
embedded in web pages in "unprotectected" form, so those spammers that
don't yet have your address will get it anyway.

All of that aside, it's definitely inconvenient for those replying to
have to make that change. Ocassionally people will forget (I certainly
do), and then they have to deal with the bounce, too.

All that said, I have to admit that the spam thing seems to have been
getting noticably worse over the last few months. I do a fair amount
of stuff on my mail server to block spam (use open relay and blackhole
lists, don't accept mail from domains that don't exist, etc.), but I'm
getting at least a dozen pieces a day. I'm getting tempted to start
blocking based on phrases in the message body, soon.....

BTW, while we're on the off-topic thing: I run a mailing list called
"shibuya-kei@lists.cynic.net" (subscribe via majordomo@lists.cynic.net)
which was basically set up as a home for stuff that's off-topic
on keitai-l. Should our esteemed moderator ever decide to reject an
off-topic post (don't laugh; rumour has it it happened once), you're
welcome to post it there.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org