(keitai-l) Re: cn u rd ths w/o kllng me?

From: <hag_at_eatoni.com>
Date: 12/22/01

| From: "John Whelan" <john.whelan@alatto.com>
|
| > Strongly disagree: t9 predictive text input is used by the majority of
| users
| > in Europe in my experience. It really works very very well and has evolved
| > over the years with now very complete dictionaries in all major languages.
|
| The paper Howard references describes a system that works.  Notably,
| however, lots of people fall back on their cute-but-unstandard systems of
| abbreviation instead of predictive input.  Why is this?

At Eatoni we've done some research (laboratory and market) on these
issues.
See: http://www.eatoni.com/research/index.html

a couple of key results:

In europe, it seems that about 1/2 of people like T9 as compared to
multi-tap, the other half would rather multi-tap.

T9 is slower than multi-tap when the fraction of non-dictionary
words is about 15%.

Note also that T9 is not available in "most major languages", only 27
languages. Eatoni systems available in 115 languages, at last count.