(keitai-l) Re: Failure, schmailure, show me the money! (was Re: failure, succ

From: Andrea <anima_at_gmx.de>
Date: 12/29/01
Nick,

> So garden, yes, walled, no.

Good point. Actually, the i-mode content model is more correctly called
a semi-walled garden (who came up with that definition in the first
place? Daniel?)

- The walled part of the garden is the (closed) i-mode menu

- The "wild", not walled part of the garden is the open Internet,
accessible by entering an URL.

It can be compared with the AOL content model, where users also have a
choice between the (closed) AOL content and the open Internet.

> With reference to "walls" - I saw some stats. recently suggesting that
> some huge percentage (80% ? something like that - feel free to post
the
> correct figure) of www page impressions are on just 60 sites.

Also interesting: more half of all "surfing traffic" on i-mode goes to
unofficial sites. The walls are certainly not for users, they move
freely between the garden and the jungle. However, this was not the case
in the beginning, when the service got launched. Users first only looked
at the menu sites and then gradually become more sophisticated and
adventurous.

> The other thing to note is that jphone and (I think) ezweb phones can
> also access imode sites.

Only unofficial i-mode sites though, most official i-mode sites deny any
access that is not coming from an i-mode handset.

-Andrea
--
Andrea Hoffmann - Associate Consultant - EGIS Japan
Mail: info_at_egis.co.jp WWW: http://egisjapan.com