(keitai-l) Re: Failure, schmailure, show me the money! (was Re: failure, succ

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/29/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>Actually, the i-mode content model is more correctly called
>a semi-walled garden (who came up with that definition in the first
>place? Daniel?)
>
>- The walled part of the garden is the (closed) i-mode menu
>
>- The "wild", not walled part of the garden is the open Internet,
>accessible by entering an URL.

I do take your points, but I really wonder whether the notion of a "wall"
does not cause more confusion than clarity in this context. Most people
who hear the term think first that it really is a "wall" - to the user,
preventing the user from doing something rather than a "wall" in the sense
that ANY selecting-portal has "walls" (we will link to you and bill for
you, but not you).

In the end "wall" just amounts to "sites have to pass certain standards
before docomo will do their billing and put them in their branded portal."
Selectivity, in a word.

So isn't there a better word than "wall"?

The fact that it is linked to from a single button makes me think more of
the "company icon on the Windows desktop" squabbles of yesteryear. A large
part of the "psychological wall" is the fact that there is a branded
button on the handset. If that button went to another portal....

nick