(keitai-l) Re: korean handset subsidies

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 04/04/02
Marc Printz wrote:

> What I see in Korea is that phones are still much smaller than average
> japanese phones. The competition there has been much more around size than
> in Japan apparently, and this had some adverse effect on the screen-sizes
> and -quality for that matter. Or: small size was easier to achieve at a good
> price than great features. I haven't had a very recent look around but I
> suspect screens are still very small compared to Japan (likely not bigger
> than e.g. the screen of an Ericsson T68) and I suspect there are no TFT 65k
> color screens yet either.

Seems to be consistent with the prohibition of subsidies for
handsets. Size and color of screens is THE major cost factor.

The latest FOMA phones have 262,144 colors. Does anyone know
whether it's possible to tell the difference between
65k colors and 262k colors (except maybe on Juergen's super-pix)...

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/