(keitai-l) Re: My first i-mode attempt

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 05/17/02
> Thanks Ed it does and it leads to a follow up question. When you create a 6K
> page, what is displayed on browsers that can only handle 5K?

You get a message that the page can not be loaded.

> Aren't you eliminating a segment of your market that has the
> older browsers?

Yes.
Also his game is cruel!!! In Germany they will put this on
a blacklist! :)

> That leads to another question, do you find that applications are very phone
> model dependent and you need to check the phone model and modify the app
> before sending it or do you code down to the lowest common denominator
> phone?

This really depends on the application.
We still have an old and unsupported page up, which shows the
different rendering of just a handful of phones:

http://nooper.co.jp/labs/sample/

Over the thumb you can say: If you have a text only application
in Japanese language, you don't need much testing or content
preparation on different handsets.
But if you work in any way with graphics or sound, you
need a lot of testing and you should support handset sniffing
methods and special handset content preparation.

The experience of our beta testers shows that the most
disappointing moment in i-mode application testing happens
if they get something offered, which they with their specific
handset can not use (eg: click here for download <click>
unsupported handset).

> We are looking to do content development for Japan which has
> many older imode phone in use.

That's right. We have recession here. Everybody can afford
100-300 yen a month for content subscription, but not
everybody can afford a new color phone. Don't get tricked
because most list members can afford all the new fancy
phones, the majority of the population can not.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/