(keitai-l) Re: GIFs and life

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 05/23/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Paul Hardy wrote:

> I'm sure this is an old topic but I can't find it:
>
> What tools, if any, are people using to create non-LZW GIFs? Can all phones
> cope with REL-encoded GIFs, or must they be uncompressed, if not LZW'd?

The GIF format requires that pixel data be stored as an LZW stream; there
is no option to specify any other encoding.  However, it is possible for a
encoder that doesn't use the LZW algorithm to produce inefficient but
valid LZW streams.  I'd not heard of RLE GIFs, but I suppose you could
make an RLE encoder generate an LZW stream.  A web search turned up
references to several tools that do that.

Any phone should be able to cope with a GIF that wasn't produced by a true
LZW encoder, because it's in exactly the same format.