(keitai-l) How mature is the mobile enterprise segment in Japan

From: Shiladitya Sunny Ghosh <sunny_at_netgalactic.com>
Date: 05/24/02
Hi Friends -

Greetings. I am engaged with the Wireless division at NetGalactic India. We
have learned a lot of lessons from the Japanese mobile Internet market. The
one, which attracts me specifically, is the way the entire model of
collaboration between phone makers, service providers, payment gateways,
content players, and the user works. Well-fragmented, perceived,
conceptualized and digitalized, companies like NTT DoCoMo, KDDI, are surely
the winners for today and days to come...

But, as time / technology demands, its time to move on --- & most companies
are trying to scale their preliminary menu driven functions into
full-fledged applications. The masters of quality, & process movement in the
world, Japan, is no way going to leave this space un-touched ...

My understanding of the present enterprise segment says that finance,
entertainment is hot, but what about the rest? Though, both of them eat
quite a large share of the pie - say about 32% in terms of revenue
generated, still segments such as logistics, Pharmaceutical, Healthcare,
education, r & d, count even bigger share in the countries IT market. Also,
what about the killer applications? Most of the present applications revolve
around email, ticketing, uploading user content, print - phone cross
synergies such as catalogues with abbreviated codes for placing orders on
cellphone, & ring tones based on theme songs.

Though these services have formed the base of success (very much required)
in the world of mobile Internet, are there also serious enterprise level
works happening in Japan -- Presently? Are there killer apps / market coming
up for trends such as advanced car navigation system, Intranet usage (such
as: Tokyo Gas employees accessing maps), healthcare monitoring,
pharmaceutical sample management, police citizen mGov network, mCRM, and
location-based services in Japan?

Suggestions, feedback, information will be of great help. Also, please don't
hesitate to nail down anything, if wrongly perceived by me...

Happy sharing!!!

Cheers!

Sunny Ghosh
Bangalore, India