(keitai-l) Re: GIFs and life

From: Christopher Lowery <chris_at_onegoodwindow.com>
Date: 05/24/02
Boutell.com's GD had, then dropped, RLE GIF support in version 1.3.
Here are some links to what's out there now:

Free and legal RLE compresed GIF code
http://static.userland.com/userLandDiscussArchive/msg010172.html

GIF LZW Materials
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/3453/gif_info/source_en.html

Ploticus and pseudo-gifs
http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/web.html

AspImage, LZW and the Unisys Patent on GIF/LZW
http://www.serverobjects.com/lzw.html

I'm amazed there's not a library on sourceforge devoted to making clean,
optimal RLE gifs, along with an advisory for the graphic designer on how
to make images that pack.

Couple that with a lossy GIF preprocessor, and you'd make legal
server-built GIFs quite practical. What do y'all use in Japan?
Two hands over the eyes and anti-Unisys incense?

-chris

visible + sensible + trustable = usable.   www.TRUTHinDesign.com