(keitai-l) phone fonts

From: TEH <ted_at_pyrus.com>
Date: 05/24/02
   First, a little background: My company, Fontlab, makes typography
software. We have a couple of products for creating or editing bitmap
fonts (FONmaker, BitFonter) which are targeted toward professional
typographers. We are interested, however, in seeing if there is a
broader market for this kind of product, particularly for BitFonter,
which is a very powerful bitmap font editor. We are specifically
looking at Asian companies, who may need specialized bitmap fonts for
their workers or customers.
   So now the questions:
   What is the bitmap font format used in telephones and PDAs? Does
each company have its own proprietary format or is there any kind of
standard?
   If a company or consumer wanted their own customized font for their
telephone or PDA is there any way for them to load a new font to either
supplement or replace the font(s) already present?

Regards,
Ted Harrison
Fontlab Ltd.