(keitai-l) Re: what do people do with the camera phone?

From: Michael Sydenham <michaelsydenham_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 05/26/02
>At 20:07 25/05/2002 +0900, Alistair Jeffs wrote:
>
> >Mark Pekelharing wrote:
> > >
> > > The success of sha-mail has been mentioned around the
> > > world.
> > > Does anyone know what people do with their camera
> > > phones?
> >
> >Yes. They phone, use J-Sky and take pictures and send them.
>

>what do they do with the ones received? do they print them out? save them
>as desktop pictures?

If you are able to watch Japanese TV, I think the J-phone/Vodaphone TV
advertising gives a good insight to the (desired/actual) use of these
phones: e-greeting to a friend (snap a photo/video of yourself saying
congrats on your wedding, and send it to your friend who is the bride;
another one - "Look here, I caught the prize-winning fish") and virtual
exchanges between close-knit friends (kisses, images/words of encouragement)
etc. The photos can be annotated with text. I think this ad concept is
pretty smart advertising because a least 2 phones are required to
participate in this social application.

KDDI are advertising new applications: users taking photos along with GPS
info.

As for printing, it is possible, at least Sharp make a mobile printer for
their popular SH-51 movie sha-mail (scroll down near the bottom):
http://www.j-phone.com/makersvoice/J-SH51/option-set.html

It is possible to save the photo that you took yourself, or received from
another, as a background "desktop" or wallpaper on the phone.

> > > When do they take pictures?
> >
> >At any time of day and night.
>
>....at work or only on the weekends or after they finish work?

Think about it - imagine if you always had a mobile digital camera. You'd be
using it all the time when you got used to it. "I wish I had a camera -
wait.. I do it is on my phone". Refer to the ad campaign reply above.

> > > What do they pictures of?
> >
> >Themselves. People. Animals. In the case of my kids they
> >also take all sorts of crazy pictures, some of which I
> >better not mention here.
>
>events? experiences? do people take pictures of that?

Refer to the ad campaign reply above. I think the applications are pretty
personal.

> > > What do they do with these pictures?
> >
> >They email them, and/or keep them stored in the camera.
>

>see above - do they print them out?

It is possible, but I doubt the mobile printer sales figures are surplanting
print clubs...

Regards

Michael.