(keitai-l) Re: Need Linux Server In Japan

From: Benjamin <bkml_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/06/02
If you are looking to rent a server from a hosting company, you'll
probably pay a lot more in Japan than what you'd pay in the US.

However, if you have a partner in Japan, then it may make sense for you
to host in Japan ...

Since late 2001 NTT is offering FTTH in the Tokyo metropolitan area. You
get 100 Mbit/s for 9000 yen per month or 10 Mbit/s for 5000 yen per
month. I find this to be the best high bandwidth bargain available
anywhere on the planet - in most places you don't even get 100Mbit/s on
an off-the-shelf package.

You could get a Linux box and put it up at your partner's premises
(office or home) and get an FTTH connection with NTT. You could get a
Cobalt Cube or RaQ (small footprint) from Sun Japan and have the system
configured to your specs, then delivered to your partner's premises.
Alternatively, someone on this list may be able to go shopping for a
cheap box in Akihabara with your partner and then build a system for you
as a freelance job.

If that sounds too much of a hassle, you probably better look at hosting
in the US.

hope that helps
regards
benjamin

PS: I wouldn't recommend to use telnet these days. Use SSH instead. If
it is a commercial server, I would even tunnel ftp over SSH for anything
that is non-public.