(keitai-l) Re: PDC and FOMA

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/10/02
DoCoMo and J-Phone are very different from au/KDDI.

it's a smooth path from cdmaOne to cdma2000, and in the same brand.
I've been using an 1X phone for a while and can't tell the difference
between 64 kb/s and 144 kb/s ... I'm not using the high speed data ;)

now that FOMA got a bad name already, and DoCoMo is thinking about
rebrand it as PDC (digital MOVA) 5xx.  but Japanese friends don't
even know what's really happening.  maybe you buy a PDC phone and
DoCoMo gives you a FOMA for free, built in the same handset.  also
we don't know how much weight DoCoMo is put back on PDC.

J-Phone is thinking a little bit different, they don't want to invest
in PDC because it's much more expensive than UMTS.  but Ericsson will
only sell stripped down version of UMTS cells at the low prices
required by Vodafone, it's more for coverage than capacity, which
will be a problem if 3G succeeds ... who cares when it hasn't.

the problem is that most 3G services hyped in Europe we already have
them in Japan over 9.6 kb/s data link.  there isn't much requirement
now for 3G, especially from the users' perspective.  I don't think
video is that needed, when most users don't even have Sha-Mail, and
Japan is still in the worse recession in history.

cheers,

Ken