(keitai-l) Re: International Usage - PHS vs WLAN

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/14/02
(1)
>How do they avoid conflicts?  They don't.  I thought that much was clearly
>understood by everyone.  Three co-located access points is all that 802.11b
>will stand.

regarding billing, we don't have to care the wireless access
but only the multiple coordinating authentications, AAA's of
respective operators.

there is nothing needed beyond authentication in the network
because only flat monthly rate will be charged - USD 29.95 by
WayPort in the US.  in Japan, prices have already fallen to
JPY 2,000 before any commercial service even start.

NTT Com says it's still solving coordination problems and is
confident they'll be solved soon.

(2)
>A specific example?  Recently an coffee shop opened up.  They serve
>overpriced scones and a second-rate coffee, but they have a well connected
>802.11b access point.

Tullys Cafe (http://www.tullys.co.jp/ 03-5545-3466) a not bad
place to go, now provides free Wi-Fi access that anyone, after
5 minute setup following the procedure provided by the shop
(no ESS-ID or WEP encryption settings), will be accessing
the 'net at rocket speed - very likely you are the only one
using the WLAN.

many JR stations have now Wi-Fi hot spots - Narita, Tokyo
(major stations on the Yamanote line), and Yokohama.

in JR Tokyo sta., go to Shinkansen platform 23 or the near-by
Tokaido platform, or the Cafe Glan.

other hot spots already in Tokyo can be found at the Mos Burger
(23-ku), the Prince Hotel, MiniStop convenient stores, etc.
NTT Com is currently the market leader, followed by NTT East.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/musenlan/
http://www.hotspot.ne.jp/
http://www.mos.co.jp/shops/hotspot.html
http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/flets/mflets/
http://www.wis.ne.jp/
http://www.usen.ne.jp/

note: you will need a fixed ISP, @Nifty, Biglobe, OCN, ODN, ...
to option the WLAN access.  I'm very interested but don't know
what people at So-net are thinking.

17 companies will provide trial access services in Shinjuku
from the next month August - October.