(keitai-l) Re: Java running into trouble on cell phones?

From: James Santagata <jsanta_at_audiencetrax.com>
Date: 09/05/02
>From: "Jay" <wirelessjava@yahoo.com>
>
> Hello Everyone
> I have worked as a consultant for BEA Systems (Weblogic),  Yahoo, Network
Associates, and many startup companies.    I have experienced with Java on
the Mobile side and on many different platforms.    It is more like:
> Write Once, and DEBUG EVERYWHERE.

Oh, I thought this was inferred by my "write once, test everywhere"
statement. : )
Once the test fails, back to debugging. That's why I thought Sun choose the
name Java, because you'll be up so late debugging, you better have a couple
of coffee pots ready.

In the mobile space, perhaps it is the proper language but
there's been just so much Java hype, that it was becoming
the "language of choice" even if it was the wrong language for the project
at hand.

In the desktop/server space, I remember seeing companies touting
"our Java-based App". As though I should care what language it
was written in. Imagine Microsoft touting their C++ word processor.

For a while it seemed that Java equaled innovativeness and in some
ways "quality" although I was never certain how a poorly written
Java program was superior to a well written C or perl program.
That seemed to not be one of the factors in the equation.

James Santagata

A U D I E N C E T R A X
http://www.audiencetrax.com