(keitai-l) 504 and network latency

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 09/09/02
There was a question asked some time ago that I don't recollect getting
an answer - what accounts for the apparent speed of the 504 handsets when
browsing sites?

 I know they run at 28kbps (ah,  how I miss the days of yore when
use/misuse of the term "baud rate" was the subject for more honest flame
wars than even the Java/C debate - the current incarantion of which is,
as far as I can see,  being conducted almost entirely between straw men )
which would account for the download speed.

 I also know they have fast processors with decent refresh circuitry on
their screens, but I can't believe that the comparativly low latency
these beasts seems to demonstrate is PURELY a cpu issue.

Are Docomomo taking them through the same gateways as, say the 502
handsets, or are they getting special treatment? I know measuring network
latency over the imode network to handsets is extremely tricky, but any
figures comparing latencies for the 504 and earlier handsets would be
intriguing.

Nick