(keitai-l) Re: Japan ranks 20th in mobile Internet use

From: Hans de Graaff <hans_at_degraaff.org>
Date: 09/18/02

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Daniel Helmer wrote:

> "Japan lags behind leading developed nations in use of the Internet
> from mobile platforms, ranking 20th in the Mobile/Internet Index,
> according to the first survey of this kind released by the
> International Telecommunication Union (ITU) on Tuesday.
>=20
> My reaction was: "Eeeeehhhhh...?"
>=20
> Then I checked the ITU release on
>=20
> http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2002/20.html
>=20
> I still have no idea how they reached this ranking, but apparently
> they are using a framework of 26 'enabling factors' to arrive at
> what country is 'theoretically' most suited for the mobile Internet.

As I read it the report is on Mobile AND Internet, as in two separate
things, not necessarily on mobile internet. It seems only 7 out of 26
factors are directly related to Mobile. Quite a confusing title,
though, so I'm sure this will be picked up the wrong way in many
places.

Hans

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--