(keitai-l) AW: Re: SMS/mobile Internet/TV

From: Jan Michael Hess <jan_at_mobileeconomy.de>
Date: 09/26/02
mark, what a long, but also very good post.
jeff, thanks for starting this thread.
I will comment right here:

Yes, I agree that TV-SMS interaction is en vogue generating
quite a bit of extra revenues for TV stations, SMS providers,
network operators and even TV format developers. Yet, this is
a young development made only possible by premium SMS. Before,
German operators did not share standard MO (Mobile Originated)
SMS prices (?0,19 gross in Germany) and increased MT (Mobile
Terminated) SMS from ?0,02 (net) to ?0,06 (net) in January 2002.

Keep also in mind that Premium MO SMS is a very expensive and
low-tech channel for distributing mobile content (ringtones, logos, text).
Depending on the operator and the tariff (Germany: ?0,39, ?0,59
up to ?1,99) the content provider gets between 30 and 60% of the
net price (minus VAT). Thus, the main moneymaker is the mobile
network operator.

One of the main reasons why Premium SMS and TV fit nicely is that
people participate in votings and competitions and maybe chats.
Especially SMS competitions are very easy to join (just send 1 SMS
command/keyword to a cross-operator shortcode) - just a few seconds
and you have a chance to win. Cross-operator shortcodes, e.g.
82628, are easy to type in as recipient's phone number.
Most importantly, SMS is interoperable across all operators
which is a key success factor.

To sum up, I want to argue that this low-tech, fast interaction
with Premium SMS works nicely for TV mass formats but really does
not deliver useful content, rather a quick chance to win and the
feeling that your voice counts. I still believe that Japan is more
advanced as revenue shares are standardised and as fair as they
can be until operators start sharing airtime/airdata.

I still wonder how users pay Premium SMS prices for such a low-tech
service offering. Single-voice ringtones, black-white logos ... arrrgghhhh!

Jan Michael Hess
www.mobileeconomy.de | www.mobiliser.org