(keitai-l) Re: SMS/mobile Internet/TV

From: Mark Frieser <mark_at_consect.com>
Date: 09/27/02
Hi James,

In some ways premium SMS is similar to the 900 lines, at least in terms that
it uses IVR/Service Bureaus and premium rate numbers for billing and
delivery.

Basically, its just another method of distribution - and in the process it
revived the 0900 industry in much of Europe (which, like in the US, had the
taint of porn).

As far as the US goes, no one except porn and psychics are delivered these
days via 900, AT&T and MCI got out of the business and there's a 60%
chargeback rate, so in the short term, I would not look to this as a decent
billing and payment method (frankly, if the telcos won't bill for it, it is
not going to be very successful).

Now, in terms of profits from mobile content, I have to disagree with your
analysis simply because there's not the volume to support the Japanese
model, and moreover, because telcos are extending the same type of inane
pricing (e.g., all you can eat, flat rate) that is applied for voice, which
sets a bad precedent for the content provider as it limits there ability to
set fair rates for their content.

And, while I understand your arguments regarding Japanese production and
development of new products, frankly, this is an argument that the content
providers, who many want to do this, are being told to keep prices lower
than the market may dictate by the telcos in the US to spur initial
demand...

First, where the telcos should use the Japanese model of product launch is
for handsets, not actual content.  They should put out decent phones for $99
with full enabling of color services, high-speed, etc.  After all, its a
terminal just like a PS2, and at the end of the day, should be as low as
possible to ensure the entry of as many users as possible into the market
for mobile content.

Unfortunately, this is not the case, at least for the phones that will
actually drive the market..  This means a phone with a color screen, memory,
downloadable ringtones and high-speed access. These phones are not
subsidized enough at present (starting right now at about $199) to jump
start the market.

And, it is this lack of decent handsets that does not allow content
providers to realize the potential of mobile content at volume pricing.

So, to then say that content providers are to subsidize the market by
sticking to lower pricing is quite unattractive for the content providers
that matter.

In Japan, the model works because DoCoMo built out the mass market for
mobile content by subsidizing handsets and standardizing pricing.

The telcos in the US are all over the map on this one, and frankly, like
DoCoMo, KDDDI and J-Phone, they need to hire hardcore content people to
develop a platform, pricing and services that are built from a content
provider prospective, not a telco prospective.

No telco is good at content, they are engineers, technology experts, and
frankly, the only time they have been successful with content has been when
they have allowed the content providers to define the market.  Both in
Europe and Japan, and I sincerely it will be the same case in the US.

Now, in terms of content providers making a profit, I agree with you that
absolute pricing, whether a Japanese model or a Euro one will not determine
whether a content provider makes any profit at all... But that is not the
main problem.

The main problem is that most mass market content providers look at the US
mobile content market's current revenue and distribution models and they
feel that it doesn't offer them a platform attractive enough to risk their
main brands and best resources.

And, this makes it harder to get users to use the content options the telcos
allow, regardless of the pricing model.

Frankly, the telcos should concentrate on building a reliable infrastructure
and getting decent phones terminals out to users quickly, and do their best
to allow content providers to define distribution and revenue models that
work.

And, as far as pricing models go, I think that people are similar throughout
the world, and that with some local variations, the models that have worked
in other markets will work here in the US... But the telcos should not try
to control the content pricing as strictly as they are currently...

To keep changing the game in terms of payment and billing and pricing on the
consumer and content providers, as is the case in the US now, is to the
determent of building out an attractive content market.

Now, in terms of 900 services in the US I couldn't disagree with you more
strongly.  From the IVRs to the consumers to the FCC to the content
providers, and content provider worth their salt will not use 900 for
anything.

Firstly, the FCC is on record stating that users can retroactively refuse
payment for any 900 charges, causing a 60% chargeback rate, something no one
wants... And causing remaining 900 providers to charge at least $1 per call,
making profit margins slim for most services.

Moreover, the two biggest and most reliable providers, AT&T and MCI left the
game as a result.

And, of course, you can factor these elements into a business model and
still be profitable, but any mass market content provider will shy away from
900 services not only due to chargebacks, but just as importantly, due to
negative market perception of the 900 services in general and the damage
that these may cause their brand.

Look into the 900 scene in the US and you will see that my analysis is
backed up quite well.

For the mobile content provider, 900 is a last resort, and until the factors
mentioned above change significantly, you'll find that 900 will not be used
as a delivery mechanism as it is in Europe.

In absolute terms, of course you can use 900 to circumvent the telcos to
some degree, but from the content provider's perspective, it just doesn't
work as well as you assume.

Best,

Mark

--
Mark Frieser
Consect

mobile devices, applications, services, content and applications from Asia,
Europe and North America.