(keitai-l) Re: GPS phones

From: Mathieu Castelli <mcastell_at_noos.fr>
Date: 11/12/02
Joseph Luk wrote:
> Word on the street is that it's overpriced for real utility.  I mean,
> come on, it takes a few minutes to fire up the GPS and acquire a signal,
> and during this whole kludgy and time consuming user experience, you
> keep thinking about the GPS use charge piled on top of the packet
> charges, etc.

All our extensive GPS testing and usage of KDDI GPS-One phones we've never
had "few minutes" delays ! The range has consistantly been 15-20 seconds to
acquire satellite signal (instantaneous), send this data to "KDDI server",
receive <Long, Lat> from KDDI, have the phone send the data to our server).
Perfectly usable I think.

But maybe you're talking about the Toshiba service or other gps devices, or
what it would be like for the tracking feature, which is not there yet...or
whatever, just wanted to give my experience with GPS phones.

Mathieu Castelli