(keitai-l) Do I need a wireless connection?

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11/28/02
Because I'm a non-hacker myself, I thought I ask the collected expertise of
the list (although the Q isn't explicitly keitai-ish...)

When I'm at the client's site, or in my hotel room, and can't access my
company's VPN through a LAN, I have to use a dial-up connection (UUNet PAL
Dialer). Nothing strange with this usually.

In Japan however, I have noticed that any phone requiring a "0" to get an
outside line doesn't give a flat tone but rather a 'busy' signal until "0"
is keyed-in. This is the case at the office, hotel, and my serviced
apartment. The problem with this is, I have noticed, my modem can't handle
it. The dial-up is disabled before it even starts. This 'busy' tone leads
the modem to think the line is not available and it doesn't dial the initial
"0" to get the outside line.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Does this mean I can not work from home? Is there some way to get around
this, or do I have to go get myself an Air-H card + Internet subscription?

Thanx,

Non-hacker Daniel