(keitai-l) Re: predictions

From: Funk <funk_at_rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 01/10/03
>The Exilim (and the Sony Cybershot-U, while you're on about it) was
>successful as a camera, not a telephone. If people are looking for
>megapixel cameras in their telephones, it's because they want to combine
>a traditional digital camera and a telephone into one unit, not because
>they want to pay 600 yen or more in packet charges per picture that they
>mail to another telephone.
>
>Given that you're talking about 200-300 KB images, consider the
>following points:
>
>    1. Mailing megapixel images off the phone is prohibitively expensive
>    (see above), not to mention very, very slow on 2G systems.
>
>    2. Standard memory capacities do not provide very many photos, by
>    digital camera standards. (8 MB gives you about 24 shots.)

this is a very logical analysis, one that can and should be extended to the
relationship between memory size and other technical parameters like color
resolution, polyphonic tones, number of java applets etc. similar analyses
can also be done for the relationship between processing speed and java
applet size, color resolution etc. Has anyone done this type of analysis
and if so would they be willing to share their analysis with the keitai
list? alternatively, please contact me offline as I am trying to do this
kind of analysis.
jeff funk
kobe university