(keitai-l) Re: DRM for picture messaging

From: Cedric NICOLAS <cedric.nicolas_at_helo.biz>
Date: 01/10/03
Agree with you Gerhard, but why when you ask to some content providers =
if they prefer I-mode mail or MMS, they answer you " I prefer I-mode =
mail because I'm sure that with I-mode handsets my content won't be =
copied or transferred without paying the rights I'm waiting for ?". In =
fact I-mode handsets, and this is the case in Europe too, give the =
ability to protect content (ringtones, images) by putting a protection =
bit to "true" in the header of the content, that blocks all possible =
transfers of that content once it has been downloaded. In fact, the =
problem in mobile is not the fact that content providers will sue or not =
an individual who do illegal copy or transfer (it's impossible), but, if =
you allow this on chargeable content, then the business model on mobiles =
for content providers might seriously be compromised and content =
providers will be sued ! We have very strict laws in Europe to protect =
for example music ringtones. Each ringtone download has to generate a =
reverse amount (% of the user price) to a centralized author's =
association that redistribute those fees to authors. But the download is =
considered as personal. If the CP allow forwarding through mail without =
charging, you're out of the law...

It's why we need DRM implemented in handsets. To day I-mode phones =
implements a basic "forward lock" (non redistribution flag). We may need =
more complex DRM scheme in the future, for example for videos. But that =
basic "forward lock" doesn't exists in today MMS phones. You may now =
understand why some major CPs refuse at this time to publish their =
content on MMS...This will change, hopefully. OMA is being on a =
standardisation process on DRM, and it will come very soon on phones. =
I-mode has definitely an advance on that topic.

Cedric NICOLAS
Responsable expertise i-mode
i-mode expertise manager
Bouygues Telecom